Monday, May 14, 2012

Cork Covered Letter


     I hope everybody had a nice Mother's Day. I sure did. I truly am blessed with my two boys- who are growing up incredibly fast- and my darling hubby- who is my best friend in the whole world.

     Today I got out my collection of corks- I believe I have a lifetime supply! It looks like I have a problem, but really I have picked them all up at yard sales and thrift stores.
     I have been wanting to try to make a cork covered letter. I've seen several different types on Etsy. I used a chipboard letter that I got at Hobby Lobby.

First, I covered the chipboard letter with some cork scrapbook paper so the chipboard wouldn't be able to be seen in between the corks. Then I just spaced the corks around the letter. I cut up a few corks to fit in odd spaces. Then I glued them all down with a glue gun.


I added this little snack unbrella to the bottom. I can't decide if I like it better this way or plain. What do you think?

I'm planning to give this letter to a friend and I wanted her to be able to hang it. I used my glue gun and attached a tab from a soda can. I've already tried it out and it will work beautifully to hang the letter.
     Once I got going, I really enjoyed making this project. This is going to be "Cork Week" here on my blog. Stay tuned and see more ways to use this versatile item!
     Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

EDIT: I kept looking at my letter "P" trying to decide what was missing. Finally I figured it out! Here is a pic of how I fixed it- I cut up thin layers of wine cork and glued them to the edge of the letter. Now you can't see any of the chipboard beneath, and the whole letter looks like I made it from cork.


I think it looks better this way.

You can see the edge a little better from this angle.



     This post is linked to Brassy Apple and Craft-O-Maniac


I Heart Nap Time



















Today's Creative Blog

Tip Junkie handmade projects
shabby creek cottage


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

No comments: