Monday, July 30, 2012

Using Old Spools as Photo Holders

     Hi Everybody! I have a cute and easy use for old wooden spools-
as a photo display.

I found this idea here with the wooden spools, but I thought why not take it one step further and cover the spools with pattern paper. . .

See how you just slip a photo into the slit and voila!


I have a large old jar full of spools on display on my fireplace hearth. (As my eleven year old likes to point out, I do love old stuff!)

All I did was create a slit in the side using a miter saw-

like this.

The spool holds a photo beautifully.
Then I covered this spool with a piece of map.

This one is covered with part of an old book page.
And this one is covered with sheet music.
Notice how I have it holding a gift card. What a great gift idea- once the gift card is removed, the spool becomes a photo holder!
I made a bunch of these last Christmas for work and church gifts. If you plan to do this, I suggest you plan to do the sawing over several nights as my hands got pretty tired after sawing several spools.

While I was making these, it dawned on me that with a piece of handwriting paper, the spool then becomes school-themed which means it would make a great teacher appreciation gift!

Thanks for stopping by and God bless.


Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
Nehemiah 8:10

This post is linked to Making the World Cuter Monday, Skip to My Lou and



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Today's Creative Blog
shabby creek cottage

2 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a darling idea! I like your twist on it. I think it makes the spool holder much more interesting. So glad to know you stopped by!

Kim of Mo Betta said...

That's a cute idea! Thanks for stopping by!