Monday, August 20, 2012

Turn Mini Spools into a Bracelet

     I was looking through a magazine and saw a picture of a darling bracelet made from little wooden spools. I love unique pieces of jewelry, so I set this photo aside in my "someday" pile. Well, guess what? Someday has arrived! Take a look at the bracelet I made from little wooden spools. . .

If you'd like to make one, you need
16-18 half-inch wooden spools (I got mine in the wood section at Hobby Lobby)
tiny strips of paper to cover the spools
Mod Podge
stretch elastic for making bracelets

The first thing you'll do is cover the spools with the pattern paper. You could go with a monochromatic color scheme or just use all kinds of papers which is what I did.
Then you need to cut a length of elastic about 20-22 inches long. With the first spool, you need to string the spool onto the center of the spool. For each spool after that, you need to cross both ends of the elastic through opposite ends of the spool. It will make an X with the elastic.

Then pull both ends of the elastic tight which will draw the spool down next to the previous spool.

Like this.
You'll end up with a line of spools. When you reach the sixteenth spool, measure it around your wrist to see if it will fit. If needed, add more spools until it fits around your wrist.
When you have enough spools, you need to cross the elastic through the first spool which will turn your line of spools into a circle. Tie a knot.

Ta-da! You have a one-of-a-kind piece of jewelry.

Next time I may stain the spools a darker shade before covering them with paper.


What do you think?

     Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
Psalm 86:11

2 comments:

Christie said...

Super cute, great job!

Beca said...

That's a very creative idea. I would have never thought to make a bracelet out of that. How neat!