Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Centerpieces

     Over the weekend I had the opportunity to help decorate for the Thanksgiving dinner at our church. When I was asked to help, I was at a loss. Now, if you've read my blog for any length of time, you know that I am not a fancy girl. I live with 3 males- we just don't do centerpieces at my house.  I can fumble my way around playing with scrapbooking paper, but table centerpieces?
     Luckily, my good friend was in charge and she was full of ideas. I just followed her directions. We did seven different tablescapes and each one was as cute as the next. Take a look. . .

 
This is a Crepe Myrtle branch with five holes drilled out for tea light candles.

 
These floral arrangements were placed in two large Ball jars. The four small jars on either side are full of rice with tea light candles peeking out of the rims.

 
I love the look of the pecans in the water. The raffia was the finishing touch!

 
My friend got a slew of pumpkins for free from a local garden center that was getting rid of them after Halloween. The pumpkins finished off our harvest arrangements perfectly.
 
 
The candlestick holders are made of acorns. We had quite a few of them (they were made by the kids in Children's Church). You'll see them in other arrangements as well.

 
Here we have three cakestands filled with acorns. They each have tealight candles in them. (We later went back and replaced the acorns with a mixture of dried split peas and blackeyed peas for more color contrast.)
I don't know if you noticed, but all the table runners are made from burlap with tea-stained lace on the ends. Absolutely beautiful!

 
Each tealight has a little bit of trim wrapped around the outer edge-so easy.
Each cakestand was made by gluing a candlestick to a plate. You can see a tutorial on how to do that here.

 
This is a platter with acorns, pumpkins, and a couple of acorn candlesticks. One pumpkin is placed up on a small pillar.

 
Here we have three Mason jars with battery operated tealights and two acorn candlesticks.

 
Here's a close up view.
To make the decorative Mason jar, just trim sheet music to fit inside the jar. Then wrap the mouth with ribbon or twine and a flower. Because the sheet music is inside the jar, you will need to use a battery operated tealight candle.
To make the acorn candlesticks, place acorns in an old plastic container, add enough Elmer's Glue to make them stick together, then place the candlestick in the center. This way it will dry with a hole for the candlestick. Super cute and super easy.

 
For this large jar with the three pillar candles, my friend layered different dried beans, coffee beans, and popcorn kernals. Once again, a very easy and very affordable decoration.

 
Finally, my friend made letter stencils with her Cricut and used them to paint on the burlap flags.
Super cute, huh?
 
So many different centerpieces that were not only cute, but affordable as well. That speaks to my creative and frugal sides!
 
I have to say, I learned quite a bit about putting together centerpieces. Now I may be able to bring a little fancy into my house:)
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the
Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
 Colossians 3:17

This post is linked to Brassy Apple, Craft-O-Maniac, Between Naps on the Porch, Skip to My Lou, and Making the World Cuter.


No comments: