Friday, March 22, 2013

A Bowl Full of Melody

     Have you ever looked at one of your old bowls and thought, "What could I do to make this fella cuter?" Me neither. But I when I spotted this old stainless steel bowl at a thrift store, I did think something along those lines.

 
I decided to dress up its interior with some old sheet music.

 
Gives it a little something, I think.

 
If you'd like to make one, all you need is:
an old bowl- metal or wooden
a few pages of sheet music
Mod Podge
foam brush
paper towel
 
 
First tear the sheet music into small scraps- about one inch squares (it's okay if they're a little bigger or smaller- we don't want them to be exactly the same, that's why we're tearing instead of using a paper trimmer)
 
Then apply Mod Podge to the back of each piece and lay it inside the bowl. Use a paper towel to press down on top of the scrap to make sure it completely sticks.
 
Continue doing this until the interior is covered.
 
Once it's finished, run a piece of fine grit sandpaper along the top edge of the bowl to even out the edges of the scraps.
 
NOTE: I didn't apply a coat of Mod Podge on top because sometimes when you put something on top of it for too long, it gets tacky and will stick to the item leaving a worn space. I do plan to coat this with some sort of protectant, though.
 
 
 
I'm not sure what I'll use it for yet. . .

 
perhaps in my work space to store some supplies.
 
What else could a cute bowl like this be used for? Feel free to leave your ideas in the comments.
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 
Delight yourself also in the Lord,
and He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Crystelle Boutique said...

What a fabulous upcycle! I love the way you made this bowl go from drab to fab!

(I have a weakness for vintage music paper anyway... :)

hugs x
Crystelle
Crystelle Boutique