Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Layout of the Week #50- Using Felt

      I love bringing unusual textures and patterns into my scrapbooking. Today I thought it would be fun to incorporate some felt.
     I used it as a mat, but it would also be cute cute into shapes (like clouds or flowers) and used as embellishments.
 
Here's the layout we'll be creating.

 
To make it, you'll need:
three pieces of 12"x12" pattern paper
one piece of felt
three strips of different pattern paper (one measuring 1/2"x 4 1/2", one measuring 1/2" x 2", and one measuring 1"x6")
journaling card (an index card will do)
two brads
Glue Dots
adhesive
paper trimmer
optional: letter stickers for the title

 
First, decide which piece of pattern paper you want for the background. Then trim the second pattern paper to 10"x10". Adhere it in the center of the background. This will give you a one inch border all the way around.
 
Feel free to ink the edges of your papers if you'd like. I almost always do.
 
 
Now trim your third piece of pattern paper to 12" x 4". Adhere it 2" from the right side of the background paper.

 
This next step will depend on what size photo you're using. I used a 5"x 7" photo, so I trimmed my felt to 6"x 8".
If you're using a 4"x 6" photo, trim your felt to 5"x 7".
 
Felt is hard to cut. I used my paper trimmer and made several swipes. This cut about halfway through the felt and left a line that I could see to finish cutting.
 
Adhere the felt mat about 1 1/2" from the top and left sides.
You'll need to use Glue Dots to get it to stick.
 
This layout will work with either a vertical or horizontal photo. If you go with a horizontal photo, just adhere it a little lower than what I did.
 
If you don't want to use felt, replace this step with some coordinating cardstock.

 
Adhere the photo to the center of the felt using Glue Dots.

 
Take your two strips of pattern paper measuring 1/2" x 4 1/2" and 1"x6" and adhere them about 1/2" from the bottom of the background paper on the left side.

 
Now take your last strip measuring 1/2" x 2" and adhere it to the top right corner of your photo.
 I extended mine to the right edge of the felt.
 
 
Either print your title and journaling on the computer like I did, or use letter stickers for the title and hand write your journaling.
Place your two brads on the top and bottom of your journaling card (if you don't have a decorative journaling card, you can use an index card cut to the size your want).
Adhere it slightly overlapping the bottom right corner of your photo.
We're done!
 
See how I created a visual triangle with the pop of color on the brads and the two bright paper strips?
 
Note: I had been wanting to do a layout on my trip to Cirque Du Soleil for sometime now, but didn't have a photo. If you've ever been, you know they don't allow flash photography. So I googled it, found a photo I liked and printed it off.
 
Hope you felt this project was enjoyable:)  
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?
Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
Luke 12:25-26


This post is linked to 52 Mantles, I Heart Naptime, and Five Days Five Ways.

No comments: