Friday, October 3, 2014

Testing Out Wood Stains. . .

On my last trip to Michael's, I picked up three different color wood stains.
 I decided to try them on a small project, before using them on bigger pieces.
 
Let me start off by saying, I am not affiliated with this company.
I'm just trying out a new product that piqued my interest.
 
 
Here's what I ended up with.
 
Let's rewind, and I'll show you what I started with.

 
I used Martha Stewart's wood stain in three different colors:
wedding cake
beach glass
chestnut

 
I also used three wood letters.
 
I just painted on the stain, let it sit for a moment, then wiped it off with a rag.
 
I started off using a rag to apply the stain,
but I found that the paintbrush was more effective at spreading it.
 
 
This is the beach glass color.
I did two coats of the stain allowing for a little dry time between each coat.

 
This is the wedding cake color.
This one, too, has two coats.

 
And lastly, here's the chestnut color.
It went on so smooth and dark, that it only needed one coat.

 
I liked this wood stain. I'm not for sure which color is my favorite.
I'm actually glad that I have all three- I'll use them all on different projects.
 
If you're wondering about the randomness of my letters,
I'm collecting letters for an alphabet wall. These are three letters that needed some color.
 
What do you think?
Do you prefer one color over another?
 
Thanks so much for stopping by and God bless.
 
I will say to the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress;
my God, in Him I will trust."
Psalm 91:2
 

1 comment:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Cute idea for an alphabet wall. I like them all but my favorite is the U. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.