Friday, January 31, 2014

Heart Garland DIY

It's January 31st and you know what that means. . . Valentine's Day is right around the corner!
 
That means it's time to incorporate a little extra love around your house.
How about with some glitter hearts---strung on some garland?
 
 
See the heart garland strewn along the top of my piano?

 
Talk about bling!

 
If you'd like to make some glitter heart garland, you'll need:
two pieces of glitter paper (got mine at Hobby Lobby in the speciality paper section for half off)
heart punch (mine makes hearts about 2 1/2" across)
sewing machine
 
If you like the glitter hearts, but don't want to use a sewing machine, you could punch holes in the center and string them on some Baker's twine. Voila!

 
Punch out a slew of hearts.
I punched out 32.
 
If you have different styles of heart punches, try them.
I bet this would be cute with different types of hearts.

 
Sew across the heart (either from top to bottom or from side to side).
Continue sewing about 3-5 times before each new heart.
 
Make sure that you press the pedal to make the needle move in between the hearts. The first time I did this, I just pulled extra thread in between each heart. That didn't work.:)
 
 
Keep going until you've sewn all the hearts.
 
 
Here's a little tip: use the scraps and a smaller punch to make punched embellishments for other projects. I did tell you I'm frugal, didn't I?

 
See how festive it makes our piano look?
 
Bring on the Valentines!
 
If you like this style of garland, you can go here to see how I've made it with circles cut
from old book pages.
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 
Uphold my steps in Your paths, that my footsteps may not slip.
Psalm 17:5
 

No comments: