Monday, August 8, 2016

Repurposed Bracelets: Belts to Cuffs

I've had this project in mind for awhile.
I've been collecting leather belts to turn them into bracelet cuffs.

It's actually been on my to-do list for about three months.
Do you ever have something that you want to do, 
but you're just afraid to start it because you don't know if you can do it? 
That was this project for me.

Then I finally told myself, "Just cut the belt. What's the worst that can happen?"
 I'd just mess up a yard sale belt.

 Crazily enough, that first cut was super easy.:)


Once I got started, I couldn't stop.


I cut off between 6 1/2" and 7" for each cuff.


Then I punched two small holes on each end.
I used my Crop-A-Dile to make the holes, but there are special leather tools made for doing this too.


 Finally I threaded narrow leather string through the holes.
I added wooden beads at the end of each strap just above the knots.


On this cuff, I added a metal quote band.


For these, I used some fabric as ties.
 

I got all these belts at yard sales and/or thrift stores.
I still have quite a bit of the belts left. I think I'm going to have to make some more. 
One belt even has the words rodeo queen engraved on it. Won't that make a cute bracelet?

If you are dealing with something in your life right now that you're not sure how to handle,
just take that first step. Stop dreading it. "Just cut the belt." 
You'll find that it wasn't worth the worry that you put into it.

Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

Rejoice always,
 pray without ceasing, 
in everything give thanks; 
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thes. 5: 16-18

1 comment:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I love the way you did these with the rawhide. What a creative idea. I tried making bracelets with belts but tried using snaps and I hated making them. The snaps are a pain. I'm going to try your idea.