Monday, October 28, 2013

Thrift Store Necklace Remixed

A few weeks ago, I found a cute, though rather plain, necklace at the thrift store. I bought it thinking that I'd restring it with some other beads. The more I looked at it though, the more I decided that I liked it- especially how the beads were larger at the center, then got smaller at both ends.
I figured out a way to remix it without rearranging the beads.
I added some fabric rosettes.
Would you believe that I got the fabric at the thrift store too? I sure did- for only a quarter! The necklace was a dollar, so altogether this necklace is a bargain!


To make this, I used the necklace,
fabric,
fabric glue,
not pictured: hot glue gun and black felt


I trimmed a few strips off the fabric and used the fabric glue to make three rosettes:
one medium size and two small ones.


Using my hot glue gun, I attached the rosettes like this.
The smaller one on the right is actually glued to the top of the other two.


The back was pretty unbecoming.
If the rosettes accidentally flip over when I'm wearing it, I don't really want this mess to show.


So I decided to add a small piece of black felt.
I cut it in about the same shape as the rosettes and attached it with hot glue.


Ta-da! I'm pleased with how it turned out.
Pretty unique, huh?

I've had people ask me what do I do with all the stuff I find at thrift stores. Well, I try to limit myself to buying things that I think I'll actually use or create something with.
Hence this project. :)

Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers
in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
1 Tim. 4:12

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is too cute Laura!!! And the price, you cannot beat it. I was just telling Jen this week that I need to find a thrift store near me with prices as good as these!!!!

Lisa said...

I love the fabric flowers you added! Very cute & unique!