Friday, July 18, 2014

Recipe Box DIY

I've had my current recipe box since I got married- which was 18 years ago.
It has been missing a lid for I don't know how long, and just recently one of the sides started coming loose. The box was barely holding itself together.
Needless to say, after 18 years, I've also collected quite a few recipes,
so I needed to get a recipe box that wasn't falling apart.
 
So I went to my friendly neighborhood Hobby Lobby.
 
 
Here's what I came up with for a solution.

 
I started with a chipboard recipe box
2 pieces of 8 1/2 x 11" pattern paper
Mod Podge
and a foam brush.

 
Then I used a paper trimmer to trim the pattern paper to fit each side of the box.
I completely covered the back of each piece with Mod Podge making sure I thoroughly got the edges.


Then I carefully adhered each piece.
 
 
I smoothed each piece down with a paper towel and pressed hard along the edges.
 
I always hate it when I miss an edge of a project and my paper starts to peel away.


Once each side dried, I used a bit of sandpaper to sand along the edges. This helps them to adhere and gets rid of any excess that hangs over the edge.


 
This is what it looked like once I covered all the sides.
 
 
(Please forgive the coloring in some of my photos- there's something up with my camera.)

 
To add a little pizazz, I used some twine and red fiber and added some silverware charms.
 

 
Now I won't be losing any of my recipes!
 
I hope you all have a lovely weekend! Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
  
 Let the peoples praise You, O God;
let all the peoples praise You.
Psalm 67:5
 
This post is linked to My Repurposed Life, Tatertots and Jello, Be Different, Act Normal,
and Craft-O-Maniac.


1 comment:

Lee "Flash" said...

This absolutely adorable! I love the woodgrain paper and the embellishments.