Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Recipe of the Week #132- Root Beer Float Cake

 
Root Beer Float Cake
1 pkg caramel or yellow cake mix
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
Root Beer
 
Grease 13"x 9" pan. Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare cake mix according to package instructions, substituting Root Beer for the liquid called for, and adding vanilla and lemon peel. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
 
Root Beer Frosting
1/3 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp Root Beer
1 tsp vanilla
 
Beat butter with 1 cup powdered sugar. Slowly add Root Beer and vanilla. Gradually stir in 2 more cups powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in a little more root beer or powdered sugar to make of spreadable consistency.
 
Cut cooled cake in half crosswise. Frost top of one cake, then top with remaining cake half. Frost top of cake.
 
Note: I substituted 1/2 tsp lemon extract for the lemon peel. Also, my icing was a little thin. I would recommend at least one additional cup of powdered sugar.
 
This cake truly tasted like a Root Beer Float! I made it for my son's birthday and it was a hit! (despite the thin icing). This is a repeat recipe.
 
Thanks so much for stopping by and God bless.

In You, O Lord, I put my trust
Psalm 71:1
 
 

No comments: