Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Layout of the Week #32- Using a Square Punch

     I don't know about you guys, but I have quite a few punches that I've bought over the years that don't get too much use. Well, dust off those punches because today we're going to use a square punch to add a little something extra to our layouts. 


Here's the layout we're going to create. Yours will have different paper, but will end up with this same look.


For this layout you'll need:
one piece of 12"x 12" pattern paper (a muted pattern as this will be the background)
three coordinating pieces of pattern paper (these can be any size as we'll be cutting them for pieces)
letter stickers for the title
square punch at least 1" in size (mine is 1 1/4")
tag for journaling
trimmer
adhesive

 
First trim four strips of paper that measure 12" x 1/4". Adhere them about 1/4" from the edges of the paper. They will look like a frame on the paper.

 
Then using two different pattern papers, punch out some squares. You want enough to make a border around the edge. I used 20 squares. You'll need to lay these out to see how they fit before you adhere them.There's quite a bit of space in between my squares. You may want yours closer together.


 
Then either you need to trim four strips 8"x 1/2" using either the first paper we used for the framing strips or another pattern paper.
Adhere them to make a frame on the inside of the squares.

 
Place your photos in the center square. I trimmed three photos to fit. When I adhered the top photo, I only used Glue Dots on the corners so I could place a tag behind it for journaling.

 
For my journaling tag, I used a plain shipping tag and a small strip of paper left over from my scraps.

 
Then I folded it in half over the top of the tag covering up the hole. Now it looks custom made for my page!

 
Place the journaling tag behind the top photo and add your title at the bottom of the page.
We're done! See how the squares add a little something to the layout?
 
 
Here is another layout where I used a tiny square punch (1/2") and punched out different kinds of Halloween papers. Then I glued them around the edge of the paper. (This paper came with the jagged black edge.) It adds some color to an otherwise muted paper.
 
 
Now that we got out our square punches, maybe we should try another shaped punch? Hmm . . . .
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.


Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you
great and mighty things, which you do not know.
Jer. 33:3


This post is linked to 52 Mantles and Shabby Creek Cottage.

No comments: