Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Layout of the Week #42- Using Junk Mail

     Last week I showed you how you could use an envelope that you received in the mail on your layout. This week we'll incorporate bits and pieces of junk mail. Usually, I just quickly sort through my mail, most of which ends up in my recycling pile. As I sift through it, it seems a waste that I don't even read most of it. Before trashing it this week, I actually went though it for this project.


Here's the layout we'll be creating.
When I plan the theme for layout of the week, I intend for you to be able to use products that you already have rather than having to go out and buy them. And who doesn't get junk mail?
 
 
To create this layout, you'll need:
one 12"x12" piece of pattern paper or cardstock for the background
letter stickers for the title
several pieces of junk mail
themed stickers for whatever you're scrapping (optional)
adhesive
paper trimmer
 
 
To begin, you need to cut between 36-38 1" squares from your junk mail (I ended up using 37 one inch squares). 
If you have a 1" square punch, that will work great. If not, you'll have to use your paper trimmer which is what I did. This is a good step to do while watching TV. I cut mine out while the kids did silent work at school (we home school).
Ink the edges if you'd like.

 
Now lay them out in the shape of a heart slightly overlapping . It's best to lay them out before gluing to make sure you get the look you want. You can lightly draw a heart on the background in pencil if that makes it easier. It doesn't have to be perfect though. Mine isn't. :)
Once you get them the way you want them, glue them down.
The junk mail gives it a very eclectic look. I trimmed all sorts of things-if you look, you'll see the ATandT logo, a hamburger, a street map, the inside of a privacy envelope, and even a couple "No Postage Needed If Mailed In The United States."

 
Now place your photo or photos on the right side of the heart. Mine are lined up with the center of the heart. I trimmed two 4"x6" photos. You could do that, too, or use a vertical 4"x6" or 5"x7" photo.

 
Place the title to the left of the photos about midway down the background inside the heart.
I used larger script letters and small tile stickers which I though mimicked the tiles of junk mail.

 
Add your journaling below the title. I wrote right on the background paper.
Optional: Then place a couple of your themed stickers. I put three word stickers at the bottom left corner and one tag sticker overlapping the photos.
 
And now we're done! Hope you like it! It's a little something different, I think.
 
    For my Layout of the Week series, I try to come up with simple layouts using directions that are easy to follow. I usually post a tutorial every Wednesday. If you have gotten into a scrapbooking slump or simply just fallen behind, try my tutorial. You could complete one page a week!

     Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
Psalm 119:15-16

    
This post is linked to Shabby Creek Cottage and Embracing Change.

No comments: