Monday, January 21, 2013

Snowflake Mobile

     My grandma loves to crochet. Whenever she comes to see us, she brings her yarn and crochet needles and make doilies while she visits. She has given all of her grandchildren a crocheted afghan. 
     Many years ago, she gave my parents a set of crocheted snowflakes, then my mom gave them to me to use as Christmas tree ornaments. This year while hanging them on my tree, I thought there had to be something more I could do with them.
     Hence, my snowflake mobile . . .


     In addition to my grandma's six snowflakes, I also used three tiny crocheted doilies that I got at a thrift store.
     First, I used fabric stiffener on all of them.
     Then, using ribbon, I tied them to a small metal embroidery hoop. Have you ever seen one of these before? I hadn't til a lady from church gave me a couple. How cool are they? I love the metal look, so I didn't even consider covering the hoop.
     To finish it off, I tied three lengths of tulle to the hoop, then tied them together at the top so the mobile can be hung.

 
     I think this will be pretty hanging throughout the winter- especially since we don't get real snow here!
     If you like the idea of using an embroidery hoop for a mobile, take a look here and here where I used them to display photos.

     Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

I will be glad and rejoice in You;
I will sing praise to Your name,
O Most High.
Psalm 9:2

This post is linked to Skip to My Lou, Making the World Cuter, Between Naps on the Porch, and Craft-O-Maniac.


2 comments:

me said...

I used to have a set of crocheted snowflakes - I miss them! Yours are lovely!

I wanted to invite you to join in my thrifted link up.
http://www.youngheartoldsoul.com

Cheers!

Patty said...

I love your snowflakes and to think how special they are due to who made them. Thanks for stopping by. I will follow you.