Thursday, January 12, 2012

Recipe of the Week #1- Deep Dish Pizza Casserole



One thing I thought I'd try this year is a new recipe every week. This week it was Deep Dish Pizza Casserole. It was good and very filling. The recipe is for an 8"x 8" dish. I didn't think that would be enough for my family, so I doubled it. There was no need to have done that. This recipe is so thick, an 8"x 8" pan would have fed all four of us.

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole

1 lb beef
8 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can tomato paste
14 oz can pizza crust dough
6 slices mozzarella cheese

Cook meat. Drain. Add sauce and paste. Cook until heated.
Grease an 8"x 8" dish. Press dough on bottom and halfway up the sides. Place 3 pieces of cheese on the dough. Top with the meat mixture. Bake uncovered at 425 x 12 minutes. Top with remaining cheese. Bake another 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

We all really enjoyed it and decided it would be a "repeat recipe" (code for "Make it again, Mom!).
Note: I added some seasonings to the meat as it cooked- Lawry's Seasoned Salt, garlic salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning. I mistakenly bought sliced Swiss cheese instead sliced Mozzarella and I used that on the bottom layer. Then I topped it with shredded Mozzarella cheese and shredded Cheddar cheese. I figure you can't go wrong with cheese on pizza! I also cut up a green onion for my husband's piece.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the source of this recipe.

No comments: