Friday, December 21, 2012

Map Covered Christmas Balls

     I've mentioned a time or two how fond I am of maps. Well, I'm going to say it again. . . I love maps! Now for such a self-proclaimed map lover, one would think that I would be better with directions. Not so- I am quite geographically challenged. I like maps more for their aesthetic value.
     Recently I got out one of my maps and used it to make some ornaments. . .

 
I actually made quite a few of them as this is what I gave to my friends at our church Christmas banquet.

 
I used plastic ornaments which you can find at Wal-mart or the Dollar Tree. Then I tore up a map into quarter-size pieces and painted Mod Podge onto the backs of each piece and stuck them onto the ornament. I pressed each piece flat with the palm of my hand making sure the entire ornament was covered.
I did not apply a coat of the Mod Podge to the outside.
 
 
Once they were dry, I stamped words like Peace, Joy, Love, and Noel onto them.

 
Then I tied a red bow around the stems and tied on a piece of ribbon as a hanger.

 
Ta-da! I was tickled with the outcome. The only thing I purchased were the ornaments- I had everything else! If you'd like to make some, all you need is:
 Christmas ornaments
one roll of red ribbon 1/4" or 1/8" wide
Mod Podge
an old map
stamps and ink
Then follow the above steps. This is another great inexpensive gift idea especially when you need gifts in bulk. These are easy to make, but I'm not going to say they're quick. I would suggest that if you sit down to make a batch of these, find something good to watch on your DVR:)
 
Unfortunately I had just enough to give as gifts and didn't have any left over. I'll have to pick up some balls at an after Christmas sale and make a few of these for myself!
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless. Please stop back by on Monday for one last Christmas craft that I think you're going to love! I can't wait to show it to you!


In this the love of God was manifested
toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son
into the world, that we might live through Him.
1 John 4:9
 
 


No comments: