Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Layout of the Week #45- Using Decorative Sacks

     Do you ever just walk the aisles of Michaels or Hobby Lobby- even if you don't need anything? Then you find something because you've walked down aisles you don't usually look at. Well, I did just that. And I found the cutest little white paper bags with pink polka dots. So this week, we're going to use a decorative sack on our layouts.
     Now, usually I tell you that when I create these tutorials, I intend for you to use supplies you already have. So don't go out and buy a cute little white sack with pink polka dots. You can use any little decorative bag. If you don't have one, you can use a regular brown lunch sack and cover it with  pattern paper.

 
Here's the layout we're going to create.

 
To make it, you'll need:
one piece of 12"x12" cardstock plus a couple small pieces for photo mats
one piece of 12"x12" decorative pattern paper
one piece of pattern paper measuring 6"x 7 1/2" (I used a page out of an old encyclopedia)
small decorative bag
letter stickers for the title
a couple of embellishments to match you theme (I used three tickets, one sticker, and a crocheted flower)
paper trimmer
adhesive

 
First trim off 1/4" from the bottom and the right side of the pattern paper. Then adhere it to the 12"x12" cardstock. Ink the edges if you'd like. 
 
 
Now take the piece of pattern paper measuring 6"x 7 1/2' and adhere it to the top of the cardstock about two inches from the left side.
The decorative elements on the bottom left corner and top right corner are printed on my pattern paper. This is a good project to use a piece with decorative elements along the edges.

 
Now turn your sack with the opening facing the left side. Adhere it on top of the second pattern paper about one inch from the top of the layout.
I used a circle punch to cut out the rounded opening. To do that, you only need to cut out half of a circle.

 
Now take your main photo and mat it. Adhere it on top of the paper bag. This will work with a vertical photo or a horizontal photo. If your photo is 4"x6", trim the mat to 4 1/2" x 6 1/2".

 
Since you will have a sack on the layout, you'll have room to put extra photos, journaling or other memento. I added a photo, used a notecard for journaling, and even folded up a picture my son drew for me. I placed all this into my paper sack behind the main photo. 

 
Now trim down 2-3 more photos and arrange them like this in the lower right corner.

 
Add your title across the bottom of the small piece of pattern paper. It's hard to read mine, but it says, "My Sweet Valentines."
Feel free to add embellishments.
I placed a crocheted flower at the bottom right corner of the main photo, then placed a ticket and a sticker at the top left corner of the same photo.
I also stapled two tickets to the edges of the items in my sack to make them easier to pull out.
If you don't have access to tickets, you can just use a rectangle of cardstock or pattern paper, fold it in half and attach it to your memento.

 
Here's a look with the items pulled out of the paper sack.
 
I hope you are able to follow these instructions and create a layout of your own! Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 
Into Your hand I commit my spirit;
You have redeemed me,
O Lord God of truth.
Psalm 31:5
 
 


This post is linked to Embracing Change and Shabby Creek Cottage

No comments: