Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Recipe of the Week #59- 15 Bean Soup

15 Bean Soup
1 bag of 15 Bean Soup
1 lb of ham, ham hocks, or smoked sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
juice of 1 lemon
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced

Soak beans overnight in a large pot with 2 quarts of water. After soaking, drain water, add 2 quarts of water and meat. Bring the beans to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 hours.
After simmering, add onion, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon, and garlic. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
Add contents of ham packet (which came in the bag of beans) 1-2 minutes before the cooking is completed. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I made this to send with my hubby for lunch at work. He loved it! I suggested he take some Beano before his lunch breaks- he refused, although I'm sure his co-workers would have appreciated it!

Note: For the meat, I used smoked sausage with jalapenos. When I added the can of diced tomatoes, I also added okra and two kinds of peppers from the garden. Instead of minced garlic, I used garlic powder. I also simmered for an extra hour- it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among
 the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
Psalm 46:10

No comments: