Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Recipe of the Week #135- One Pot Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice

One Pot Cheesy Chicken Taco Rice
1-1 1/2 lbs lean ground chicken
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 Tbsp Canola oil, plus extra drizzling to cook the rice
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 cups chicken broth
1 jar salsa
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Roma tomato diced
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 green onion
cilantro, to taste

Place oil in skillet. Add chicken and onion. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
Scoot the chicken off to the side of the pan and drizzle oil on the empty side. Add uncooked rice and toss it to toast it.
Stir in spices, broth, salsa, corn, and black beans. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18 minutes or until rice is tender.
Sprinkle tomato and cheese over the rice. Cover the pan until the cheese melts. Sprinkle cilantro and green onion over the top and serve.

Note: I used boneless chicken breasts cut into cubes instead of ground chicken. I also used homemade salsa instead of jar salsa.

This dish turned out pretty good! I love when I can make a whole meal in one skillet:) I served this with chips and homemade salsa. My family gobbled it up!

Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

And it shall come to pass
that whoever calls on the name of the Lord
shall be saved.
Acts 2:21

This post is linked to Skip to My Lou, My Girlish Whims, and Daisy Cottage Designs.

No comments: