Friday, August 7, 2015

Decorative Letter DIY

In this day and age it's easy to get overwhelmed with all that's on our to-do lists.
Taking a little time for ourselves is refreshing- so that we can get back to do what we need to do.:)
I find that I like to use my "me" time doing something crafty. 
I suggest that you try to take some time to be creative.
Here's a simple project to get you started.


Try your hand at making a decorative letter.


To make one, you need:
paper mache letter (mine is 8" tall)
large piece of pattern paper
paint
Mod Podge
2 paint brushes
sandpaper
fabric flower or ribbon


To start, paint the edges of the letter.


Once the paint dries, put your letter on the back of the pattern paper
 and trace around it leaving plenty of space. Then cut around those lines.
I lined mine up up at the top right corner to make it easier 
to get my paper on straight for the next step. 


 Cover the front of the letter with Mod Podge.


Lay the paper on top of the letter. 
I lined my paper up at the top left corner to make sure it was straight.
Press along the entire letter paying close attention to the edges to make sure all the paper adheres.


This is what it looks like from behind.
I feel working with a little extra paper around the edges allows me to cover the entire letter.
If I cut it exactly to size, I have to be sure to line it up exactly which is difficult to do on wet glue.


Carefully use your sandpaper along the edges to remove the excess paper.


Finally, add a flower or ribbon to your letter.


Here's a side view to show how painting the edges gives it a more finished look.

One of these would be a great gift for a teacher (with school themed paper),
for a baby shower or even for a house warming gift.

I hope you have an awesome- and creative- weekend!
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, 
but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Proverbs 31:30

No comments: