Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Recipe of the Week #97- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

 
 
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
5 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup diced mushrooms
1 1/4 cup diced onions
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp thyme
5 oz egg noodles
1 1/2 cups half and half
salt and pepper to taste
 
In a medium pan, melt 3 Tbsp butter and add flour to make a roux. Whisk in 1 cup chicken broth and milk. Add 1/4 cup onions and mushrooms and bring to a boil. Whisk often until it thickens.
 
In a large pot, melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Add 1 cup of onions, the celery and carrots. Cook for a few minutes until the veggies soften. Add the mushroom mixture, the chicken, the remaining 4 cups of chicken broth, and the thyme and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook and drain the noodles.
Stir in cooked noodles and half and half. Allow to heat through.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
 
Note: I added extra noodles. I always like lots of noodles in my chicken noodle soup.
 
My hubby and I loved this. It way more flavorful than regular chicken noodle soup!
My boys were not as fond of it. I diced the mushrooms very small so the boys wouldn't notice them, but my hubby mentioned how excited he was about the mushrooms, so my boys were already skeptical of this dish when they sat down. Nonetheless, this is a repeat recipe at our house:)
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 

Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.
Jude 2

This post is linked to Skip to My Lou and Between Naps on the Porch.

1 comment:

Jill said...

This looks easy and tasty - I'm going to pin it!