Monday, April 28, 2014

Thrift Store Trunk Makeover!

A few months ago, I was delighted to find an old trunk at my favorite thrift store.
Believe it or not, but I was needing a coffee table and I was actually hoping to find an old trunk.
What kind of luck is that?
To make it even better, I got the trunk for $3.
I was walking on a cloud when I walked out with my purchase that day!
 

I'm going to start by showing you my "after" photo.
This is how it turned out.
 
 
And this is how it started out.
You can go here to see the post when I bought this bad boy.
  
 
My hubby helped me immensely with this project. (That's cause he rocks!)
First, we cleaned it up and used Oops to get rid of some sticky areas.
Then he covered it with two coats of primer.
Next, he used silver spray paint on the entire thing focusing on the trim.
Once that dried, I applied painter's tape along all the shiny silver edges, so he could cover the rest with chalkboard paint.
We finished it off by lining the inside bottom with 2x 4 strips to which we attached the casters.

 
I think it looks pretty great in front of my door couch.

 
I topped it with a silver tray that holds three vintage books and a wire rack filled with old croquet balls- all of which were bought at the thrift store, except for the croquet balls. They were found while curbside shopping!
 
 
Total cost:
trunk- $3
spray paint and primer- $21
2 x4- $4
casters- $30
Grand total- $58
 
I am loving how my secondhand decor is looking in my living room!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by and God bless.
 
Love the stranger.
Deut. 10:19
 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! Wow!

Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

The Speckled Hen Cottage said...

How cool is this! Love that you used chalk board paint~~~awesome idea!!!