Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Recipe of the Week #214- Crock Pot Creamy Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup

Crock Pot Creamy Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth, divided
1 stick butter, cubed
1 can (13 1/2 oz) coconut milk
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground red pepper, or more to taste
1 1/2 tsp salt
3-4  green onions, finely chopped

Combine sweet potatoes and squash, onions, half of chicken broth, and butter in a Crock Pot. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Puree until smooth in blender, 1 cup at a time, returning each cup to the Crock Pot. Stir in remaining broth, coconut milk, and seasonings. Cook on high until heated through. Serve sprinkled with green onions.

I made this soup for my hubby and I on date night (because I knew my boys wouldn't be too keen on it). It was so wonderfully smooth and creamy. I would say that next time I make it, it needs to be in addition to a meal, not just the meal. It wasn't a hearty enough soup to carry the meal on its own. That being said, it's definitely a repeat recipe!

Thanks for stopping by and God bless.

Let love be without hypocrisy. 
Abhor what is evil. 
Cling to what is good.
Romans 12:9


This post is linked to Tuesdays With a Twist, I Gotta Create, Gingersnap Crafts, and Skip to My Lou.

No comments: