Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Layout of the Week #2- Using Maps to Scrapbook

     The theme for this week's Layout of the Week is using maps. I love maps! I usually buy them for a dime at my local thrift store. Recently, I scored a plastic container full of them for only a dollar!
     The object of this tutorial series isn't just to use common items in our scrapbooking, but also to make a page quickly. I think you'll be surprised how fast this one will come together!

First, you'll need to gather your supplies. This layout would work in either 12"x 12" or 8 1/2" x 11".
-kraft cardstock or a brown pattern print
(I chose this piece that looks like cardboard-I've had it forever!)
-blue cardstock or pattern paper that coordinates w/the colors on your map
(you don't need much because this is just going to be the mat for your photo)
-a map of anywhere
-2 sets of letter stickers, one medium sized and one large sized
-something to use for a journaling card (even a notecard would do)
-scissors
-adhesive
-a photo of someone you love

Now, gently fold your map in half (I didn't make a hard crease) and draw half a heart on the folded side and cut it out  (just like we used to at elementary school).

The heart should fit within your brown paper. If not, trim it so it does and adhere it.

Next, you'll want to cut a mat from your blue paper. Mount your photo to it, and adhere it to the center of your heart. Then take your medium size letters and spell out "You Are" above the right corner of the photo and "Here" centered below the photo. (Get it? It's a map saying "you are here" and the map is in the shape of a heart. You are here in my heart. . .:)

The final step is to add your journaling card that says "in my heart forever." I hand stamped the "in my heart."  If you don't have a set of mini letter stamps, I highly recommend getting a set. I use them quite a bit- they really come in handy. If you keep an eye out, you can sometimes even find some in the Target dollar bins! The "forever" I spelled out with my label maker.
This is the final step if you want to keep your layout simple. 

However, if you'd like to beef it up a bit, here's an idea. You could add an embellishment to the upper left corner of the photo and do an embellishment cluster at the bottom right corner of the page. I placed a ticket with a crocheted flower on the photo (a regular flower would have worked, too). Then in the bottom corner, I grouped a restaurant check under my journaling card and layered another ticket and 2 more flowers. Finally, I added a pink paint border around the edges. It kind of looks like it was sewn because I used the handy tool pictured below. I just ran it through a pool of paint and drove it around the edges of my paper a few times. Easy.
Betcha can't guess where I got this - that's right the thrift store! See the price written on the handle?


Here is another layout I did using a map. These photos are from a visit to the local car show. The tire tracks are actually a tire track roller stamp, but the same look can be accomplished by borrowing one of your son's Monster Trucks, rolling the tires through paint or an ink pad, and driving all over your paper.

There are many times that you could use a map on your scrapbooking layouts. The obvious would be a travel themed one, of course. But you could also use them when scrapping about where you grew up, a layout listing places you'd love to visit or even on a layout based on an exotic restaurant you went to (like a map of China for a Chinese restaurant). Maps also make cute and easy embellishments. Grab your punches and create map flowers, circles, or scallops!

Thank you for looking!

This post is linked to My Girlish Whims, Show and Tell Saturday, Get Schooled Saturday, Brassy Apple, Craft-O-Maniac, Today's Creative Blog and I Heart Naptime.

Tip Junkie handmade projects

2 comments:

Joey said...

This is a really unusual and cute idea. I like!
http://labellavidaaa.blogspot.com/

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Love these layouts with the maps!