Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Scrapbook Layout of the Week #1

     This is a new feature I'd like to share: Layout of the Week. I plan to show a different layout every week. The layout will be able to be completed in 30 minutes or less and will be low cost. This week I'm featuring how to use sheet music on a scrapbook layout.
     I get my sheet music books at the thrift store for 25 or 50 cents. One book will provide material for several projects. If you are not a thrift store shopper, you could look for sheet music at yard sales, check Craigslist or Freecycle, or ask at your local high school and see if they have any that is outdated or that they're not using.

For this layout, you'll need an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of kraft cardstock. Trim the piece of sheet music so it will fit on the cardstock with a small border and adhere it.
I used a 5"x7" photo although a 4"x6" photo would work.
Next, get some sort of trim to wrap around the bottom of the photo. I used Baker's twine, but embroidery floss, thin ribbon, narrow twine or any other trim that's not too thick would work.
Adhere the photo to the bottom right corner. If you choose to use a 4"x6" photo, you don't need to put it as close to the bottom as side as pictured above.
Put your title towards the top of the page. I chose these letter stickers because I thought the black background would make them stand out on top of the sheet music.

Either print or write your journaling and cut it into strips and adhere it. I just cut mine out freehand with scissors. Once you ink the edges, it's really not noticeable that the edges aren't perfect. Besides, I really like the handmade look:)

Finally, you can add a set of three embellishments at the bottom left corner. My son has a punch to make his own guitar pics, so I borrowed it and punched three different types of paper (corrugated cardboard, shiny red, and a gold metallic piece). You could use circles, stars or another punch to make embellishments or you could use stickers. I added one line of journaling at the bottom right corner of the photo.
This layout is very simple to do and you can use products from your stash.
When you use sheet music, you don't necessarily have to make a music themed layout. You could use it for a family photo page, a trip to a concert, or even on a heritage layout.

Here is another example of a layout using sheet music- this one is a 12x12. The sheet music didn't cover the page, so I slid it over to the right. The red strip around the page is narrow decorative tape (you could use thin strips of a different colored cardstock or pattern paper). The drumsticks I cut out of wood grain paper after tracing one of my son's drumsticks. I used some letter stickers I had on hand for the title and cut my journaling into strips. I added 3 word stickers to the top right corner and a couple pieces of masking tape to the corners of one photo and the top of the other. I used distressing ink around all the elements of this layout.


So, here are 2 examples of using sheet music on layouts. You don't have to use an entire sheet at one time. You could cut the sheet music into tags or use your shaped punches to make embellishments. You'll definetly find plenty of uses for this inexpensive purchase. Good luck and happy scrapping!

This post is linked to My Girlish Whims, Brassy Apple, Craft-O-Maniac, I Heart Naptime, Today's Creative Blog, and Show and Tell Saturday.

No comments: