Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Layout of the Week #24- Using School Photos On Your Layouts

     This week I am featuring back-to-school teacher gifts, so I thought I'd stick with the school theme for our Layout of the Week.
     I'm going to show you how to incorporate your child's school photo and class photo onto a layout. I actually use this layout to document every school year for my boys. Now they both have an album that takes them from kindergarten through fifth grade and for every year has their class photo, their school photo, and other random photos that I took at school throughout that year.
This is the layout we'll be creating. Yours will look a little different depending on what type of papers you choose.
You'll need:
one piece of 12"x12" card stock
5 pieces of school-themed pattern paper (we only need small pieces, not whole pieces of paper)
letter stickers
adhesive
trimmer
class photo
individual school photo

First, place the title in the upper left corner. I usually just use their grade level for the title. Mine says, "Fifth Grade"
Then you need to trim 3 different pieces of pattern paper- 1/2"x12", 1"x12", 3/4"x12". Adhere them right below the title leaving a little space in between them.

Now place the class photo in the bottom left corner. I lined the bottom of the photo up with the bottom of the card stock.

Trim a piece of pattern paper to fit along the right side of the photo and adhere it. Mine measures
3 1/2"x 5 3/4". I used a corner rounder on the bottom right corner of the pattern paper.

Now add a 1" strip of paper along the top of the photo. I used a corner rounder on the top left corner. Then I stamped the name of my son's teacher and the name of the school on that strip of paper. Finally, mat your child's photo on a piece of coordinating card stock and place it in the upper right corner of the layout.
The layout is now complete. Imagine if you did this for every school year. That seems do-able, right? Not too overwhelming, I don't think.

This is what the two page layout looks like. I use the class photo page on the left, then on the right, I place photos that I took throughout the year. I have a journaling card hidden behind a photo with details about the school year.
Every year, I choose a different color background card stock and different pattern papers, but the layout is the same.

Here is another example from my other son's book. This one has fewer photos on the right side.

     This is an easy way to scrapbook school photos- doesn't take much time or imagination, but it is nice to have them all in one place.

     If you have any questions about documenting your child's school photos, please leave me a comment.

     I got this idea from the Sept. 2005 Creating Keepsakes Magazine.

     Thanks for stopping by and God bless.



And whatever you do in word or deed, do it all in the name
of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

     This post is linked to My Girlish Whims and Shabby Creek cottage.


No comments: