Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Layout of the Week #26- Using Playing Cards to Scrapbook

     This week you need to get your game on because we're going to incorporate playing cards in our Layout of the Week.
     I love using things out of the ordinary when crafting. Playing cards aren't usually thought of for scrap booking, but they make a cute and very inexpensive embellishment. I have picked up several packs of cards for next to nothing at yard sales. You may even have an unused pack laying around your house.

Here's the layout we'll be creating.

 For this project, you'll need:
one piece of 12"x12" pattern paper
one strip of pattern paper measuring 12"x3.5"
one 12" length of coordinating ribbon
6 playing cards
letter stickers for the title
stapler
adhesive
paper trimmer

We're going to begin by creating the strip of paper with layered playing cards. Just lay them down the strip turning them this way and that. There is no science to this.

I used six cards- two of them I flipped over and put the backside facing up.

Once they're all attached, you need to trim off the excess that is hanging over the edge of the paper. You can either trim them with scissors or use your paper trimmer like this.

Adhere the strip to the right edge of the 12"x12" pattern paper.

Overlap the edge of the playing cards with your ribbon.
I adhered mine by stapling the ribbon at the top and bottom.


  Now place your two 4"x6" photos like this.

Place your title at the bottom of the page.

Write your journaling in strips, then adhere them in between the bottom photo and the title.
And you're done!
I used my layout to document how my family loves to play games, but you could use this for a "Lucky" themed layout- like how you're lucky to have your spouse, your children, or your best friend. Or you could use family photos and the title "Full House."
Here is a layout where I used two large playing cards (7"x4.5") to create a layout.

For this photo display, I tied together four large cards and used it to document my family's favorites right now. This went together very quickly.
If you don't have cards this big, you could just use card stock or chip board trimmed to size.
Print a photo of each of your family members, back it with a bit of pattern paper, and use letter stickers for their names. Then just have them write down their five favorite things, trim their words from the paper and adhere them. Quick, cute, and easy!

Here's how it looks from behind- just four large cards tied together.

Here is a close up photos of my hubby and my side.

Here is a close up photo of the boys' side.

     If you're not played out on playing card ideas, this final project shows a mini album made from playing cards. I made this for a make-and-take using only five regular size cards.

I bound it with the Bind-It-All.

The second page is actually one card that I cut about 1/3 off.

Then I used the other portion or the 2/3 card for the third page. 

The clock and star is printed on a transparency that I placed in between two pages.

I used some vintage style pattern paper to cover the unsightly back on the cards.

The journaling consists of prompts that I had to answer. That always makes for easy journaling.

Here's the back cover. Thanks for looking!

     Well, I think I've tipped my hand- and more with all these photos! Thanks for stopping by and God bless.


Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one
receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
1 Cor. 9:24



This post is linked to At the Picket Fence and

shabby creek cottage
Liz Marie Blog

No comments: