Friday, May 31, 2013

A Banner to Sing About

     I love buntings- also known as banners or pennants. I see lots of different ones throughout the Blogosphere, but I don't usually take the time to make one myself.
     Well, I'm helping to decorate for a music themed graduation party, and I thought that a bunting would be a cute and easy decoration that I could make . . . out of sheet music!

 
Here's what I came up with.
It was very easy.
In case you haven't noticed, easy is my middle name!

 
If you'd like to make one, here's what you need:
sheet music (or map paper or scrapbook paper- I got mine at a thrift store)
paper trimmer
hole punch
twine
piece of cardstock or other stiff paper measuring 7"x 5 1/2"

 
First, take your cardstock and make a fold at one of the short ends.

 
Open it back up and you should see a fold mark. You need to make a diagonal cut from the top right corner to the center mark at the bottom.
Do it again on the left side.

 
You will be left with a triangle.

 
Use this as your template to cut however many triangles that you'd like on your banner.
I made one with fifteen triangles and a second one with twenty triangles.
To make wise use of my paper, I placed the first triangle at the top left of my piece of sheet music. Then I used the bottom right piece that was left to make another triangle. Yes, that means that some of my music notes are upside down on the triangles, but I figure nobody will be looking that hard. And I hate to waste paper:)

 
Then punch holes in the two corners along the short end of the triangles. Sheet music is very thin, so you should be able to stack several pieces together for this step.

 
Then string each triangle onto the twine and tie the twine off at the ends.

 
TA-DA! Pretty cute, huh?
 
Just a thought: if you string this on red/white/blue ribbon instead of twine, it would make a great Fourth of July decoration!
 
This would be cute for party decor, but would even work just to hang in your house. It was so easy, I think I'll make a few to hang around my house. Living with all these boys, I always enjoy a pretty thing here and there:)
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 
As for God, His way is perfect;
the word of the Lord is proven;
He is a shield to all who trust in Him.
2 Samuel 22:31
 
 

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

You could also use the Star Spangled Banner music to make one for the 4th! Love it!