Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Layout of the Week #54- Creating a Hidden Pocket

     I have mentioned before that I like to include lots of photos on my layouts. Therefore, I try to come up with different ways to incorporate them so my layouts don't all end up looking alike.
     Today for the Layout of the Week, I'm going to show you how to create a hidden pocket to add photos and mementos.

 
Here's the layout we'll be creating.

 
To make it you'll need:
one piece of 12"x12" cardstock
one piece of pattern paper measuring 6"x 12"
4 strips of pattern paper/border strips/washi tape (measurements noted below)
letter size envelope
letter stickers for the title
note cards to put in the pocket
paper trimmer
adhesive

 
First trim your strips to 1"x 12", 1/2" x 12", and 1/4" x 12". Going from wide to narrow, adhere the strips starting at the top of the cardstock.
I used two strips of pattern paper and one border strip.
I often pick up packs of border strips- they come in different patterns and sometimes even have adhesive on the back.

 
Adhere your envelope so the top edge is 6" from the bottom of the cardstock and 1" from the left edge. It doesn't matter what your envelope looks like because it will get covered up.
Mine is actually the bottom of a large envelope that I cut off for another project.

 
Adhere your 6"x12" piece of pattern paper across the bottom of the layout.
Make sure to put adhesive on the front of the envelope so it will adhere to the back of the pattern paper.

 
Now you will have a pocket on the left side of the paper.

 
If you'd like, you can place a 1/2"x12" strip of pattern paper/decorative border/washi tape along the top of the pattern paper. This step is optional.

 
Now place a 4"x6" horizontal photo in the upper right corner below the pattern paper strips.
Then trim three photos to fit along the pattern paper. My photos measure 4 3/4"x 3 1/2" and I adhered them with the edges touching each other.

 
I had two more photos that I wanted to include on this layout, so I placed each one on a note card. Then I used a third note card for journaling.
You can use how ever many note cards you'd like.

 
Here are the note cards that I used. I love that they have a little color on them.

 
Place your note cards into your hidden pocket.

 
Place your title across the bottom of the top photo.
Optional: add a few embellishments- I added a sticker at the lower right hand corner overlapping a photo, a tag with some journaling at the lower left hand overlapping a photo, and placed two folded tickets and a round sticker at the top right corner of the layout.
That, my friends, is all!
 
     I hope this is a technique that you can use. If you have any ideas that you'd like to see on the Layout of the Week, please leave me a comment.
 
      I do a layout tutorial every Wednesday. I try to give general directions so that you can make a similar layout using supplies that you already have.
 
      If you have photos that you need to scrapbook and you just don't know where to start, swing by here and try one of my layouts. If you follow along every week, you could have four layouts done in a month!
 
     Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 
Commit your works to the Lord,
and your thoughts will be established.
Proverbs 16:3

This post is linked to My Girlish Whims, 52 Mantles, and Ivy and Elephants.

No comments: