Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Layout of the Week #10- Using Fabric to Scrapbook

     Greetings, my paper loving friends! I hope you're all having a good day. I thought we'd step outside the box this week and incorporate fabric into our layouts. So get out your fabric scraps and let's scrap with them!


The supplies you'll need:
one piece of 12"x12" card stock
one coordinating piece of pattern paper (only need about a 2"x10" strip)
4 pieces of coordinating fabric scraps (the largest piece is 10" x 6"- the rest can be smaller)
letter stickers for your title
journaling block (something to write your journaling on)
photos
adhesive
scissors
optional: envelope (mine is 6 1/2" x 9 1/2")


This is the optional step: Take your envelope and measure what you're going to put inside of it. I wanted to place cards from my kids in there, so I laid the cards on the outside of the envelope to see how long it needed to be. I trimmed about an inch off the bottom of the envelope.
Then I adhered it sideways to the cardstock with double sided tape. The end that I trimmed is open, so I used regular Scotch tape to tape it to the card stock which closed the open side (the left edge) so my stuff would stay inside.

Now you'll cut the main fabric to 10"x6" long and adhere it over the envelope. It's ok if the bottom edge shows because we'll be covering it in the next step.
Make sure you leave the open side of the envelope to the right edge and don't cover it with the fabric or you won't be able to use the envelope.
If you're making this without the envelope, just adhere the fabric to the bottom portion of the card stock leaving a little border around the edges. I used Mod Podge to adhere my fabric.


Cut a wavy edge in your strip of pattern paper. The scallop does not have to be perfect. I just started cutting. It is about 1 1/2" x 10".

Adhere it to the bottom edge of the fabric while overlapping the fabric a little. Once again, don't cover the open edge of your envelope.

To make the fabric bunting, we'll make a pattern so the pieces will be the same. I used a piece of stiff paper (from a file folder) and cut a 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" strip. Then I placed one of the short ends into a square punch. This gives you an evenly cut "V."

Like this.
(You can keep this as a pattern to use on later projects.)

Now you use this pattern to cut out this shape out of fabric. If you take a piece of fabric and fold it in half, you will cut two pieces out at once. Use your other three fabrics and cut two flags out of each fabric. 

Take each fabric flag and fold the top edge over a piece of twine and staple it. Do that with all the fabric flags and make two sets of three flags. Tie a knot in the twine at the ends. Adhere these to the top two corners of the cardstock. 

Add your photos to the right side of the layout. They should overlap the scallop paper. I used two 4"x6' photos, but you could use a 5"x7" photo instead.
Place your title at the bottom edge of the bottom photo.


To finish it off, just add a journaling block on the left edge of the fabric. I chose a circle, but a square or rectangle would work just as well. Stop here if you want to keep your layout simple.


If not, you can add a few embellilshments to jazz it up. I placed a flower with a quote in the center on the photos, then placed little butterflies with jewel centers throughout the layout.


Here is another example- I started with a heart cut out of fabric, then added a fabric tie to the bottom of the layout. Also, the three tabs at the top left corner and top right corner are just rectangles cut from fabric, folded in half, and stapled to the background paper.

Thanks so much for stopping by and God bless.

This post is linked to Blue Cricket Designs, Be Different. . . Act Normal,  and








 
Photobucket
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Julia said...

What a great post-- and perfect for the news I have for you!

I'm glad you like my blog layout-- I'm in the process of re-doing it, as much as I like it, it's not as functional as I'd like.

I have to be honest and tell you that I cheated a bit-- I used a template from online. If you search for "free Blogger template" you'll find quite a few lovely ones!

I have several links that you might like-- ones that would fit your site's content, and your aesthetic. My e-mail is on my page-- if you click on it and drop me a line, I'll send them in your direction :)

On the other hand, I completely understand if you'd rather do the hunting on your own. Just like when you're digging for that perfect deal, half the fun is in the hunt <3 But I can get you started in the right direction, and might have a few that you might otherwise have never found... either way, it's up to you!

*~* Julia *~* http://beautifullywhimsical.blogspot.com *~*

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

very cute scrapbook pages, I like the addition of the fabric. I made one scrapbook years ago when my daughter graduated high school... maybe someday when I have some grandkids, I'll do another. :)
gail