Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Layout of the Week #75- Using Large Arrows On Your Layout

     As I was preparing for today's post, I knew which photos I planned to use, but I wasn't sure about the topic that I wanted to focus on. I started going through my pattern papers looking for some that would work, and I spotted a sheet full of large pre-cut arrows. Right then the theme dawned on me. . . arrows!
     Don't fret if you don't have any pre-cut arrows: I'll show you how you can quickly and easily make one out of pattern paper.

 
Here's the layout we'll be creating.
See the large arrow at the left and the smaller one above the right photo?

 
To make this layout, you'll need:
one piece of 12"x 12" pattern paper
one piece of 6" x 12" pattern paper
two pattern paper strips measuring 1/4" x 12" and 1" x 12"
two pre-cut arrows or scrap paper to make some
letter stickers for the title
journaling card (an index card will work)
four embellishments (I used one sticker and three tickets)
paper trimmer
adhesive
 
 
Adhere the 6" x 12" pattern paper about 3" from the top of the background paper.
Then place the two pattern paper strips along the top and bottom of that piece.

 
Place a large arrow at the left side of the strips of paper. If your arrow is straight, cut it in half to make it look like this.
If you don't have a pre-cut arrow, follow these next steps to make one.
If you're doing a digital layout, you should be able to find an arrow similar to this.

 
To make your own large arrow, trim a strip of pattern paper to 1" x 8 1/2".

 
Then trim a square that is 2".
Cut that square in half diagonally.

 
Place one of the triangles on the end of your strip and attach it.

 
Now cut your strip so you have 2 1/2" next to the triangle. Spin the six inch portion around and adhere it perpendicular to the first piece. It should now look like this.
Ta-da! You made your own arrow!
Adhere it to the left side of the layout.
 
 
Now add your photos. I alternated mine so I could make them all fit.
If you'd rather, you can use 2 or 3 photos and place them in a straight line.

 
Place two embellishments in the lower left corner of the layout.
I staggered two tickets and hung them over the edge. Then I trimmed off the excess. . .

 
and placed the rest of it in the upper right corner.
Make another arrow using the same method as above, only make it with a 1/4" strip and a 1" square.
Place it at the top of the farthest right photo.
Place the title in the lower right corner.
 
 
Finally, place your journaling card in the upper left corner slightly overlapping the left photo. Group two embellishments at the edge of the journaling card.
That's it!
 
Thanks for stopping by and God bless.
 
I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure.
Psalm 119:162
 
 This post is linked to Be Different Act Normal, I Heart Naptime and 52 Mantles.
 

No comments: